Home | Materials | Colours
Thanks to its physical properties and its beauty as well, porphyry has been used since antiquity onwards as an artistic element and for the realisation of flooring and cladding of prestigious spaces.
As no toxic substances are used, all of the production phases are eco-friendly. This also preserves porphyry’s beautiful natural features:
- High abrasion resistance that grants non-slippery properties (even in case of water);
- High resistance to frost and low absorption of water and of other substances that could spoil its physical and mechanical properties;
- High wear resistance which allows to avoid aging and discolouration;
- Surface regularity, which makes treading comfortable and pleasing;
- Irrelevant maintenance costs over the medium/long-term. All of our products keep porphyry’s most important features unchanged in the course of time. The surface does not change and doest not need regeneration treatment as in the case of other stones.
Porphyry is never evenly coloured, its variations depend on the rock’s chemical composition. Our team has divided porphyry’s shades on the basis of natural cleft surface and of processed surface:
NATURAL CLEFT SURFACE PORPHYRY:
COLOUR A/MIXED GREY
(main hues: grey, purple/grey, light brown)
This category includes porphyry from Argentina and Trentino: the former has a grey background colour with whitish-pink specks, the latter features a spotted grey background specked with pink and black.
COLOUR B – MIXED RED
(main hues: red, pink, reddish, dark ochre)
Argentinian porphyry falls into this category: specks in the background colour are pink, whitish, and dark grey. Sometimes rust-coloured specks are visible too.
COLOUR C – MIXED RED/BROWN
(main hues: deep red and purple, dark brown, rust with white, pink, and brown crystals)
Porphyry from Trentino falls into this category.
COLOUR D – SELECT RED
(main hues: purple red, ruby red, with white and darker red speckings against the background)
This category includes Mexican porphyry.
COLOUR E – GREY AND RED/MIXED BROWN
Mix of categories A and C.
STARDUST PORPHYRY WITH PROCESSED SURFACE:
Stardust porphyry is obtained from monolithic blocks, and it is sawn to the desired thickness. The surface of the slabs is finished in order to enhance its use in terms of duration, resistance, non-slippery properties, and ease of cleaning. These treatments are important for the exploitation of the rock’s potentialities too, namely its colour, texture, and roughness. Thanks to its high resistance, the surface treatments that can be applied to Stardust porphyry are mechanical and thermal. It can be finished with “flaming”, “honing”, “polishing”, and “brushing”.
These are its colours:
COLOUR F – STARDUST GREY
Stardust grey features exclusively grey tones with ash-grey bursts and pink spoecking.
COLOUR G – BROWN/GREY
This variety is dominated by a light brown hue, sometimes mixed with shades tending towards grey.